Wedding Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My new name is Gimpy...

We have a varing degree of Respiratory therapists in our office. They range from smart to incredibly stupid, from no personality to too much personality, and from turtle like work speeds to Speed racer. Amy is very sweet, middle of the road intelligence, but she is a flippin' turtle. Remember the turtle that took 20 pages to cross the road in The Grapes of Wrath? That is Amy...

So yesterday, Amy had the doctors and I running 45 minutes behind (this is bad, people- like patients waiting 45 minutes to be checked in and another 45 minutes to be seen, bad). We were not happy but we were coping the best way we could. In order to slow her even more, I made the decision to show my patient how to use the inhaler and walked to the med closet to get the demonstrator. Our office is carpeted, except the bathroom and the med closets. As my cute little heels hit the tile, my heel slipped and I turned my foot completely on its side. And then, I hit the floor. Dee heard the crash, came to help, and found me dry heaving in the closet. This damn ankle is the same one that, a year ago, I tore the ligaments in. I am pretty sure that I did it again.

Today the ankle is still swollen, bruised, and throbbing. To say that it marches to the beat of its own drummer would be an understatement. I am limping my way around in my trusty Asics and hoping it heals quickly. I keep getting pages from Dr L calling me Hop along... I wonder how he would feel if Hop along took some time off??

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I am sorry to hear this...you really need both ankles don't you?
maybe a day or two or rest might help? Oh, heck you are the nurse, you know what you need to do.
On the upside, it could have been worse.
take care.

Mary Beth said...

Does he know your nickname and how appropriate that is? Sorry about the ankle - it's amazing what we put ourselves through for cute shoes:D Make sure P knows to curl up on the other side.

the dragonfly said...

Oh no! Feel better soon...take care of yourself!!

Gberger said...

This sounds painful. I hope you get some good anti-inflammatories and pain meds, and then rest that ankle. They obviously need you at work, but you need to be allowed to recuperate. I hope they show some mercy soon! God bless you.

HWHL said...

I am so sorry.... :-(
Unfortunately it's not going to produce "goop" that will heal it overnight (like our similar 'contact issue'), is it???
Darn.